Top 25 Events In Golf Mecca History
A Chronological Look At Gaylord
A Chronological Look at the Top 25 Events in the History of the Gaylord Golf Mecca
1. 1986 - Robert Trent Jones Course opens as the hall of fame architect looks out over the par-3 6th hole and appropriately names the resort "Treetops".
2. 1986 - Rick Smith, one of the games top instructors, comes to Treetops and helps to put Gaylord on the map as a golf destination.
3. 1987 - The Gaylord Golf Mecca creates new marketing destination with seven courses. Otsego Club-Classic, Michawye Pines, Gaylord Country Club, Wilderness Valley, Lakes of the North, Treetops Jones Course.
4. 1988 - The Lakes Course designed by Jerry Matthews opens and joins the Gaylord Golf Mecca.
5. 1991 - Michigan Amateur Championship comes to Gaylord for the first time in history. Michaywe Pines hosts the event.
6. 1991 - Elk Ridge Golf Club, designed by Jerry Matthews opens, and becomes member of the Gaylord Golf Mecca.
7. 1992 - Tom Fazio comes to Michigan to build his first and only course in Michigan as the Treetops Fazio Premier Course Opens.
8. 1992 - Black Forest opens. It is Tom Doak's 3rd design.
9. 1992 - Marsh Ridge Resort opens adding another resort destination course.
10. 1992 - The Natural, designed by Jerry Matthews opens.
11. 1993 - Threetops, the #1 Par 3 Course in America, opens for play at Treetops.
12. 1993 - Rick Smith designs his first 18-hole course opening as one of the most popular new courses in the country.
13. 1994 - The Loon Golf Club opens.
14. 1996 - Black Bear Golf Club opens with 19 holes.
15. 1996 - Michaywe Pines hosts its 2nd Michigan Amateur Championship.
16. 1999 - The Par 3 Shootout debuts on ESPN and becomes one of the most exciting made- for-TV events ever.
17. 1999 - Jack Nicklaus comes to Gaylord to play in the Par 3 Shootout.
18. 1999 - Phil Mickelson, Lee Janzen, and Ray Floyd, round out the group with Jack Nicklaus for the first Par 3 Shootout.
19. 2000 - Rees Jones "The Open Doctor", designs Black Lake Golf Club, joins the Gaylord Golf Mecca.
20. 2001 - "The King" Arnold Palmer comes to Gaylord to play in the Par 3 Shootout.
21. 2001 - Tribute Course opens at Otsego Club as a tribute to Keith Gornick's father, the longtime owner of Otsego Club.
22. 2001 - The most lucrative shot in golf history is struck by Lee Trevino, who makes a hole-in-one at the Par 3 Shootout. The ace is worth $1 million and is a top play on ESPN.
23. 2006 - Osprey Recreation purchases Otsego Club and Black Forest creating a new golf resort destination.
24. 2010 - The Loon Golf Resort expands and adds lodging, the new Butch Harmon Golf School, and Pro-Am event.
25. 2010 - Natalie Gulbis, one of the top rising stars on the LPGA tour, comes to Gaylord for her own Pro-Am event.
News Source: GolfMichigan.com
Posted August 21, 2012 || Viewed 2,774 times